You have no doubt heard this tip before: Always check references before you hire a mover, lawyer, decorator, contractor, or other home professional.
But for some people, picking up the phone and calling strangers to ask for a reference can feel awkward or even intimidating. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Call in the early evenings. This is the most convenient time for most people.
- Explain that you are checking references and that the professional or company you are considering hiring suggested you call.
- Ask if this is a convenient time to speak.
- Ask if they were satisfied with the services.
- Ask if there were any surprises with the final bill.
- Ask if they have recommended that professional or company to their friends?
- Thank them for their time.